Sunday, March 19, 2006

Coach-Player Love at University of Washington?



On Saturday Washington beat Illinois 67-64 to reach the Sweet 16. It was a great win by the Huskies but reading on Wayne Drehs' take on the game from ESPN.com made me wonder if there was more to the win than good coaching and good play:

Coach patted me on the butt, looked me in the eyes and told me that he needed me," Jensen said. "Right there, I didn't care about anything else in the world. . . . If I was going to wear out the bottom of my shoe, he wasn't going to get that ball.

So Mike Jensen used his elbows. He used his torso. He used his butt. He stretched his 6-foot, 8-inch frame as far as it would go. ...

I put my whole body in front of him," Jensen said. "I elbowed him. I butt-fronted him. I shoved him. Whatever it took. A couple times he got frustrated -- he'd push me or shove me -- but I just pushed him right back.

Maybe Lorenzo Romar listened to Jay Bilas' suggestion about seeing Brokeback Mountain.

No comments: