- Hertha lost 0-1 to Hamburg SV in the preseason Bundesliga Cup on July 29.
- The club signed 22 year-old Croatian forward Srdjan Lakic to a 3 year contract. Lakic scored 13 goals in 30 games last season.
- Brazilian midfielder Marcelinho left Hertha this past week. The 31 year-old signed with a Turkish first division team. He had been a solid performer for the club but lately was inconsistent.
- Liverpool lost 2-3 to Kaiserslautern of the German second division in a preseason friendly on the 29th. At the end of the game, Liverpool keeper Jose Reina played in the midfield. New player Jermaine Pennant looked solid in his debut. Luis Garcia and Fabio Aurelio suffered injuries during the game.
- Apparently, Liverpool put in the highest bid for Chelsea striker Damien Duff but the Blues refused to deal to the club. Rather, the team sent him to Newcastle.
- Liverpool drew Israeli club Maccabi Haifa in its Champions League qualifier. Liverpool is balking at traveling to Israel for the away leg. UEFA is asking for Israel FA for security assurances. This could get interesting.
- Argentina midfielder Pablo Aimar surprisingly left Valencia for Real Zaragoza.
- Valencia routed EPL team Charlton 3-1 in a friendly last weekend.
- Valencia sold 27 year-old striker Mista to Atletico Madrid for 4 million euros.
- Valencia is still trying to sign Portuguese winger Simao Sabrosa from Benfica but talks have broken down amid requests for more money on Simao’s part.
- Rumors are surfacing the Valencia has entered the Cristiano Ronaldo market.
- Roma claims it will not sell to Real Madrid three players: Daniele de Rossi (he of the elbow to McBride’s face), Cristian Chivu and Mancini.
- Rumors: Roma will look to purchase David Trezeguet from scandal ridden Juventus; Lens defensive midfielder Alou Diarra would like to join AS Roma; Ghanaian international Stephen Appiah has been linked to Roma but would still prefer to sign with Arsenal.